About the Engagement
The Minnesota Broadcasters Association (MBA) seeks proposals for Interim Management Services. This is a tremendous and immediate opportunity to engage in the transformation of the MBA, remaking it into a dynamic organization representing over 300 Minnesota commercial and non-commercial radio and TV broadcasters. Much has changed since the MBA was founded, yet our mission remains service to local communities. Change brings excitement, uncertainty, promise and challenge. Many factors will impact our future, including state and Federal legislation, FCC policy, the economy, emerging technology and media usage trends. The interim leader will work closely with MBA Board and membership to identify strategies to best position the organization for increased service and success.
About the MBA
The newly-elected MBA Board moved quickly in recent months to identify and address issues within our organization. The MBA Executive Director position opened in December. The Board created specific committees to inventory practices and compliance within the areas of Finance, Rules, Works, Service and Agenda to best direct limited resources to pressing issues. The National Association of Broadcasters, the CPA firm of Russ Nelson, the law firm of Winthrop & Weinstine, many outside state broadcast organizations and broadcast leadership throughout the state of Minnesota are providing guidance and support as the MBA rebuilds.
Scope of Work
This contract position will be for at least a six-month period for approximately 20-25 hours per week. The new MBA offices are located at 401 North 3rd St, Minneapolis. Our staff presently consists of one part-time administrator. The position will include travel for training with other state broadcast associations and meet with MBA members. Our timeline is immediate, possibly within 3-4 weeks. The work of the interim leader will be immersed and merged into guidance and support work outlined above, hands-on in discovery, execution and messaging of the work at hand. From this experience, the interim leader will be extremely well-placed to recommend the MBA business structure and plan for the future.
· Immediately engage in the work process representing the needs of the MBA membership
· Assist the Financial review process to establish schedules of revenue, expense and annual budget along with increased accountability and oversight
· Oversee handling of Non-Commercial Sustaining Announcements/Public Education Partnership Program, media accounts that air statewide and are the primary MBA revenue source
· Monitor state and Federal issues which impact MBA membership
· Ensure fulfillment and timely achievement of all contracts, FCC and other regulatory alerts
· Cultivate relationships with the Board while recruiting increased engagement among membership
· Provide direction and execution of the MBA Annual Meeting(s) to share the organizational status, plan, recommendations of the Board and Board recruitment
· Explore and offer plans to access new revenue streams to sustain the organization
· Maintain clear communication with the Board, key stakeholders and MBA membership
· Organize systems for timely and accurate reporting to various entities
· Guide and coach the Board for this interim period, and make recommendations for its future structure
· Change agent who has successfully led an organization through challenge and change.
· High-integrity leadership and commitment to complete transparency
· Solid, hands-on financial and budget management skills, including search, analysis and reporting
· Strong task and organizational skills to gather information, formulate plan and execute actions, independently and through collaboration
· Ability to interact with Board, membership, stakeholders, staff, clients and public in a professional and respectful manner
· Capacity to appreciate and articulate the MBA’s strategic mission to members and stakeholders
· Experience in association management, nonprofit management, or broadcasting
· Immediate availability
· Interim management philosophy of the firm/individual that will be our main contact. Include a description of similar assignments you’ve performed, and how you envision working with MBA
· Your proposed approach to this particular engagement, given your understanding of our Objectives
· Summary of qualifications (biography, résumé)
· Three references, including contact information
· Cost of service/fee structure
· Deadline for submission of proposals: February 9, 2018
· Notification of finalists: February 16, 2018
· Selection of consultant: February 23, 2018
Please submit proposals in PDF format to Brad Ballinger at Cincinnatus (email@example.com). Questions can be addressed to Brad via email or by phone (612-843-0130).